South Hilo Crime Report: July 28–Aug. 10, 2017
Of the 20 vehicles reported stolen, 10 had been recovered at the time of this report.
Also see “BIG ISLAND NOW CRIME STORIES” below for expanded articles about specific incidents.
The complete list of crime locations and dates are as follows:
- July 29: Between 12:30 and 1:05 p.m., unknown suspects broke through the security screen door of a business located near the 200 block of Waianuenue Avenue. Checks of video surveillance revealed what appeared to be two male suspects wearing fabric to conceal their faces and gloves on their hands. Suspects removed a small safe containing U.S. currency.
- August 4: Between 3:30 and 4 p.m., unknown suspect(s) entered a residence near the 1000 block on Kino‘ole Street, by cutting the window screen to the front door. Removed were: an Android tablet, Kindle Fire tablet, Dell laptop computer, makeup kit, safe containing $150, security camera tape and miscellaneous jewelry.
- August 5: At approximately 2:20 a.m., an unidentified male entered an open attached carport at a residence located on Uhaloa Street. The suspect attempted to open the unlocked door to the outside storage room, then fled the area when the homeowner came out of the residence. Nothing removed.
- August 4: Between 10 p.m. and August 5 at 10 a.m., unknown suspect(s) entered a downstairs basement of a residence located near the 500 block of Iwalani Street through an unlocked door. Removed was a .357 magnum revolver and a pearl necklace.
- August 6: Between 1 and 8:30 p.m., a 27-year-old man reported that a male acquaintance, 38, entered his residence located on Kalona Street without permission, while he was asleep. The victim stated he informed the suspect to leave his residence earlier. The victim stated when he awoke at approximately 8:30 p.m., he discovered that his MacBook computer, iPhone 7, Adderall medication, Klonopin medication and Hydrocodone medication were missing.
- August 7: Between 1:15 and 2:09 a.m., an unknown male suspect made entry into a church on the Old Māmalahoa Highway and removed a security camera without permission. Entry possibly made by using a key.
- August 7: At approximately 7 p.m., a 60-year-old man reported that the suspect in this case,
identified as Jason Mattos Jr., 30, entered into his studio located on Kahalono Road in
Honomu without permission and removed a set of keys, a flute case, framed poem,
and also consumed arare, string cheese and apple juice from within. Mattos wasa arrested and charged with the offense.
- August 7: A 46-year-old man reported that between 5 and 7 p.m., a male party by the
name of “Turner” (unknown last name) had entered into his bedroom located near the
500 block of Kino‘ole Street without his permission and taken his Nextbook Ares 8a
Android tablet. The victim said he was laying on his bed when Turner entered and
grabbed his tablet and left the residence through the unlocked front door.
- August 9: Between 3 and 5:45 a.m., a business near the 200 block of Kalanikoa Street was entered by unknown suspect(s). Two cash drawers were removed from the cash register area of the store. There were no signs of entry into the business.
- August 10: Between 12:20 and 12:32 a.m., a business on Lihiwai Street was entered. An employee found that a sliding exterior receiving glass window was open and items within were out of place. Upon reviewing video surveillance, two unknown juvenile males were seen removing the exterior receiving sliding glass window to the business. The juveniles then entered the building, walked to the register and removed approximately $30 in tip proceeds that the business collected within a plastic cup. The juvenile male suspects had set off an alarm and fled the area.
20 VEHICLE THEFTS
- July 28: Between 6:45 and 7 a.m., unknown suspect(s) had removed a black 2006 Dodge Durango (PBU022) from the parking lot near the 100 block of Kapiolani Street. The truck was located on July 28.
- July 28: Between at 6 p.m. and July 29 at 9:45 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a 2003 silver Toyota Tacoma (HJT217) from a business on Hawaii Belt Road in Honomu. Truck not located.
- July 29: Between midnight and 12:30 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a 1995 Toyota truck (532HDY) from a business property on Old Māmalahoa Highway in Pepeekeo. Truck located on July 31.
- July 30: At approximately 10:30 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a silver extended-cab Toyota Tacoma (397HDU) from a residence located on Old Māmalahoa Highway in Pepe‘ekeo. Truck located on July 31.
- July 31: Between 2 and 2:15 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a silver Toyota Tacoma pickup truck from a property on Kokoke Kai Place in Honomu. Vehicle located on July 31.
- July 31: Between 7:15 p.m. and midnight, a green 1997 Chevy Silverado (GRV145) was stolen from the side parking stall of a business near the 1700 block of Kilauea Avenue. The owner stated that he had left the key in the ignition. Vehicle not located.
- July 31: Between 10 p.m. and Aug. 1 at 8 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a Honda CRV (JSJ612) from a parking lot on Maile Street. Vehicle located on Aug. 1.
- July 31: Between 7:30 p.m. and Aug. 1 at 8 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a white 1986 Toyota Tacoma two-door pickup truck (HXT191), from a parking stall located at an address near the 2400 block of Kalanianaole Street. Truck not located.
- August 1: Between 6:30 a.m. and 3:20 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a black 2001 Hyundai Accent (NSY354) without permission from the makai parking lot on Kamehameha Avenue and Haili Street. Vehicle located on Aug. 1.
- August 2: Between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m, unknown suspect(s) removed a Honda Civic (ZBM439) near the 700 block of Kīlauea Avenue without permission. Vehicle located on Aug. 2.
- August 2: Between 6 p.m. and August 3 at 4 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a green 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck (697HDU) with a regular cab with a black steel flatbed and a purple circle logo with a foliage logo on both doors from a business on Old Māmalahoa Highway. Truck not located.
- August 3: Between 5:10 and 5:25 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a green 2004 Honda Element (NTG660) from a parking lot near the 100 block of Puainako Street. Vehicle not located.
- August 3: Between 7 and 8:10 p.m., a white Toyota 4Runner (HXW609) was removed from a residence near the 100 block of East Ohea Street by unknown suspect(s). Vehicle not located.
- August 3: At approximately 10:30 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a 2002 green Toyota Tacoma (VNAB874) from the driveway on Kahali‘i Place in Papaikou. Truck not located.
- August 4: Between 2 and 5 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a black Huzhou Daixi Zhenua technology PMZ50-4J 49cc moped from an apartment complex located near the 1600 block of Kīlauea Avenue. The owner stated his moped was locked and secured to a cement pillar with a lock and chain. Moped not located.
- August 4: Between 7 p.m. and Aug, 5 at 2:40 a.m., a gray 2008 Mazda truck license plate 294HDP was stolen from a residence located near the 200 block of Pu‘ueo Street. The vehicle was located on Aug. 5 at 2:45 a.m. after being involved in a traffic collision on Kahaopea Street, where the driver ran from the scene.
- August 4: Between 7 p.m. and August 5 at 4 a.m., unknown suspect(s) removed without permission a yellow/white 1997 Gillig Phantom mass transit bus #342 (CH3439) from a baseyard located near the 600 block of Lanikaula Street in Hilo. Bus located in Puna on Aug. 5. Kawelo Nakamura, 21, was arrested and charged with the offense.
- August 5: Between 2 p.m. and Aug. 10 at 1 p.m., unknown suspect(s) had entered
a baseyard located off of Komohana Street and removed a yellow International work
truck (Vin: 1HTSCAB11VH402359). The vehicle has unknown license plate as is has not
been currently registered. Unknown suspect(s) then exited through the front gate with
the vehicle, causing heavy damages. Vehicle not located.
- August 8: Between 8 p.m. and Aug. 9 at 5:43 a.m., a white 2002 Toyota Tacoma (HKD775) was stolen from a residence located on Old Māmalahoa Highway by unknown suspect(s). Truck not located.
- August 8: Between 7:30 p.m. and Aug. 9 at 6:45 a.m., a black 2005 Honda Civic (HFB709) was stolen from a residence located on Honomu Road. Vehicle located Aug. 9.
15 VEHICLE BREAK-INS
- July 28: At approximately 1:45 p.m., a 21-year-old man reported that two acquaintances removed the speakers and amp from the trunk of a 2000 Honda Civic without permission while it was parked near the 700 block of Kīlauea Avenue.
- July 30: Between 3 and 4:30 p.m., unknown suspect(s) broke the rear passenger window of a Toyota Camry and removed a black backpack with contents while it was parked on Pi‘ihonua Road.
- August 1: Between 5:55 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., unknown suspect(s) entered a silver 2002 Ford Explorer and removed $600 from a wallet which was hidden under the driver seat while it was parked near the 400 block of Kalaniana‘ole Street.
- August 1: Between 4:15 and 6 p.m., unknown suspect(s) broke both front and rear passenger side windows of a 2013 Kia SUV and removed contents from within while it was parked at the Onomea Scenic Point in Pepe‘ekeo.
- August 3: At approximately 4 p.m., a 36-year-old woman reported that she was assaulted by her former roommate, a 43-year-old woman and her 20-year-old niece., while she was in the driver’s seat of a 2004 Honda Element. This occurred in a business parking lot near the 100 block of Puainako Street.
- August 4: At 4:30 p.m., a 30-year-old man reported being involved in an argument with a 29-year-old man at King’s Landing. The 30-year-old man reported that while he was seated in his white Honda van during the argument, the 29-year-old jumped halfway through the driver door window and tried to remove the key from the ignition. The victim stated that he was able to push him out of the vehicle and drive away.
- August 4: Between 6 p.m. and Aug. 5 at 9:12 a.m., unknown person(s) had entered a 2005 Honda Civic while unlocked and unattended on Akala Road. A black briefcase containing a laptop was stolen.
- August 4: Between 11 p.m. and Aug. 5 at 1 a.m., unknown suspect(s) entered an unlocked two-door Ford Mustang, while it was parked on Maka‘ala Street. Suspect(s) removed a silver iPad.
- August 5: Between 12:45 and 2 p.m., a Saturn was entered while parked in a parking lot near the 300 block of Maka‘ala Street. The owner discovered that items in the back of the vehicle were missing. The lock on the passenger side door had been damaged to gain entry.
- August 7: Between 2 and 3:45 p.m., a black 2013 Hyundai Elantra was broken into by unknown suspect(s) with an unknown object which shattered the front passenger-side window. The vehicle was parked just north of the first bridge on Pi‘ihonua Road.
- August 7: Between 9:30 and 10:45 p.m., unknown suspect(s) had broken into a 2008 Hyundai Sonata and removed a purse while it was parked near the 1700 block of Kamehameha Avenue. The rear passenger window was broken to gain entry.
- August 7: Between 5:30 p.m. and August 8 at noon, unknown suspect(s) entered a 2016 Dodge Ram through an unlocked door and stole tools while it was parked on Hawai‘i Belt Road in Hilo.
- August 8: Between 7:35 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., unknown suspects had entered a 1992 Honda Civic without permission while it was parked near the 200 block of Waianuenue Avenue. Unknown how entry was made.
- August 8: Between 8 pm and Aug.9 at 6 a.m., unknown suspect(s) attempted to gain entry to a white 2009 Nissan Frontier pickup and a white 2013 Ford Focus while the vehicles were parked in the garage of a residence located on Old Akaka Falls Road. The driver-side locks of both vehicles were damaged with an unknown object.
- August 10: A 25-year-old man reported that while in a parking lot located near the 400
block on Hualani Street, he observed two unidentified male parties in the area of a gray
1993 Toyota truck. He said he observed the two men with the driver and passenger side door of the vehicle open, leaning into the vehicle sifting through items within the vehicle. He further related that the rear passenger-side window was shattered and on the ground beside the vehicle. Nothing was removed.
BIG ISLAND NOW CRIME STORIES
Search Warrant Uncovers Heroin, Handgun of Honomū Man
Hawaiʻi Island police have charged a 30-year-old Honomū man with several offenses in connection with a pursuit on July 24, in Pepeʻekeo.
HPD Task Force Charges Additional Individuals in Stolen Vehicle Case
Hawaiʻi Island police charged two adult males and a female for offenses in connection with stolen vehicles and other offenses.
HPD NOTE TO BIG ISLAND RESIDENTS AND VISITORS
The Hawai‘i Police Department asks residents and visitors alike to take the role as an observer: Watch for suspicious activity and notifying the police. You can make a difference!
- Emergency: 911
- Non Emergency: (808) 935-3311
- Crime Stoppers: (808) 961-8300
- Vice/Drug tip hotline: (808) 934-VICE (8423)
To inquire about a neighborhood watch in your area or if you would like to start one, contact a South Hilo Community Police officer at (808) 961-8121.
BIN RELATED LINK
South Hilo Crime Report: July 21–27, 2017