DLNR: 2015-2016 Game Bird Hunting Season
The opening of the 2015-2016 game bird hunting season has been announced as Nov. 7 by the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife.
DLNR officials say that department biologists have predicted a below average season of bird hunting as lingering drought conditions has impacted many parts of the state.
The fall game bird hunting season will run through Sunday, Jan. 31, 2016.
Hunters are required to have a valid hunting license and a game bird stamp for game bird hunting on public and private lands.
Game bird hunting is regulated by Hawai‘i Administrative Rules Title 13, Chapter 122.
On the Big Island, the following areas will be open for game hunting:
- Mauna Kea Game Management Area and Forest Reserve, Pu’u Mali Mitigation Site (Unit A): Game hunting on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season. Mammal hunting will be closed in Units G and A below the tree line during the legal game bird season, as stated in Ch. 123 “Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting”.
- Pohakuloa Training Area: Game bird hunting, at the direction of the Department of Defense, subject to training schedule. Hunters are to call the Pohakuloa hunter’s hotline at (808)-969-3474 for information on hunting days, open areas, and access routes.
- Kapapala Ranch Cooperative GMA and Kapapala Forest Reserve: Game hunting will be open on Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.
- Pu’u Wa’awa’a Forest Reserve and Puuanahulu, West Section (Unit F): All sections of Pu‘u Wa‘awa‘a FR will be open for game bird hunting on Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the 2015-2016 game bird season. Vehicles must remain on designated roads to minimize the risk of fire. Maps will be made available at the Pu‘u Wa‘awa‘a hunter check station and at the DOFAW offices in Hilo and Kamuela. Leave all gates as they are found due to active cattle ranching in the area.
- Pu’uanahulu GMA, East Section: Game bird hunting on Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.
- Ka’ohe Game Management Area and Kaohe Mitigation Site (Unit G): Game bird hunting on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays for the entire game bird season.
- Kipuka ‘Ainahou: Game bird hunting on weekends and state holidays throughout the game bird hunting season. A special permit is required and is available from the Division of Forestry and Wildlife offices in Hilo and Kamuela and at the Pu‘u Huluhulu hunter check station. Hunters are to avoid nene geese that are in the area. Mammal hunting in this area is closed from November 1 through February.
All other public hunting areas not listed above are open to game bird hunting on weekends and state holidays from Nov. 7, 2015 through Jan. 31, 2016, in accordance with Chapter 13-122.
Privately owned lands are open to game bird hunting on weekends, state holidays, and Wednesdays – Thursdays for Units A, G, PTA, and private lands during the regular game bird season which is Nov. 7, 2015 through Jan. 31, 2016, with landowner permission, and in accordance with Chapter 13-122.
Kahua/Ponoholo Ranch Special Permit Area will be closed due to continuing drought conditions and concerns about the potential for wildland fires.
Hunters will be required to check in and out at established hunter check stations, but first obtain permission from landowners when seeking to hunt on private land.
The DLNR reminds hunters to not park in tall grass or bush in an effort to avoid starting fires. Fires large and small should be reported to 911.
Game law violators should be reported to the Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement by calling (808)-643-3567.
For more information, contact the Division of Forestry and Wildlife offices in Hilo at 974-4221 or in Kamuela at 887-6063.