PRG Annual ‘Rookie Camp’September 8, 2018, 11:30 AM HST (Updated August 17, 2018, 11:12 AM)
- Paradise Roller Girls (PRG) is inviting everyone to PRG’s annual Rookie Camp. If you are interested in working on your skating skills, learning the sport of roller derby, joining our competitive team, or being a referee or volunteer, this is your chance.
- The camp starts on Monday, Oct. 29, 2018 and will include 15 individual camp sessions that will take place on Monday’s from 7 to 9 p.m. and Sunday’s from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Wainaku Gym.
- Come to the camp ready to work hard and have a blast. Most new league members have no previous roller derby (or even skating) experience, which means accepting a lot of new challenges. PRG is a supportive community and we celebrate one another’s successes, no matter how big or small each step might be. Show up, train hard, and cheer for everyone – including yourself!Rookie Camp is eight weeks long and taught by experienced PRG coaches. Practices will cover basic skating (form, crossovers, stops, and safe falls), off-skates drills for general fitness, and introductory roller derby skills. At the end of Rookie Camp, skaters interested in learning more advanced roller derby skills and gameplay will be assessed for skill level to ensure that it’s safe for them to participate in contact drills.
All participants are required to wear the following protective gear at all times:
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Mouth guard
- 4-wheel (quad) roller skatesIf skates/gear is the only thing holding you back, contact PRG and they will try to put you in touch with someone who has secondhand gear available for sale or to borrow.
- The Wainaku Gym located at 30 Aikane Loop, in Hilo. For more information click here.