Salvation Army Back-to-School Supply DrivesJuly 16, 2018, 3:26 PM HST (Updated July 16, 2018, 3:26 PM)
The Salvation Army is seeking back-to-school supplies for keiki in need with supply drives being held on Hawai‘i Island, Maui and O‘ahu. Requested items include: backpacks (most needed), colored markers, colored pencils, composition notebooks, crayons, erasers, facial tissue, glue, glue sticks, highlighters, school boxes, paper towels, pencils, pencil pouches, pens (black, blue and red), portfolios, rulers, scissors, small calculators, and wide rule binder paper. Those interested in organizing their own school supply drives may contact Tatsu Sasaki at The Salvation Army via phone at (808) 440-1834 or via email email@example.com. Here is a list of current drives:
- The Salvation Army Hilo Temple Corps, Deadline: July 27. This supply drive will benefit K-to-sixth grade students in the Hilo community. In addition, The Salvation Army Hilo Thrift Store is offering a 50 percent discount on children’s clothes for families seeking support if supplies run out and for families who are not eligible to benefit from the supply drive. Drop off school supplies or make a monetary donation by Friday, July 27 at 219 Ponahawai St. Hilo, HI 96720. For drop-offs, please call ahead at (808) 935-1277.
- The Salvation Army Kailua-Kona Corps, deadline: July 28. The supply drive will benefit 100 children from families being served by The Salvation Army Kona Corps. Donations of school supplies may be dropped off by July 28 at The Salvation Army Kona Corps at 75-223 Kalani Street, Kailua-Kona 96740. For drop-offs call (808) 326-2330. Supplies will be distributed on July 28 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Salvation Army Kona Corps.
- Adopt a Backpack Campaign, Deadline: July 20. Each year The Salvation Army of Maui County helps children in need to start off the new school year with new school supplies through our annual backpack drive. This year we have partnered with Maui County Federal Credit Union where you may drop off school supplies or make a monetary donation at one of their three branches in Kahului, Lahaina or Wailuku through July 20. For pick-ups, or to organize a school supply drive, call The Salvation Army Kahului Corps at (808) 871-6270. Donations will be distributed on July 26 at The Salvation Army Kahului and Lahaina Corps.
- Echelon Hawaii’s Red Pencil Project, Deadline: July 27. This program will benefit students in the third-grade classes of partner schools Kauluwela Elementary, Likelike Elementary, and Waialua Elementary. Echelon Hawaii is a membership of young professionals supporting The Salvation Army and local communities. Drop off school supplies by Friday, July 27. For pick-ups and drop-offs call 808-440-1864. Monetary donations can be made online. Drop off location: The Salvation Army Mānoa Campus, 2950 Mānoa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822
- The Salvation Army Kauluwela Corps, Deadline: July 24. This program will benefit students at Title One Schools in Honolulu. The goal is to give essential school supplies to students at these schools, ensuring that they have everything they need for success at the beginning of the school year. Drop off school supplies by Tuesday, July 24. For pick-ups and drop-offs call (808) 521-6551. Drop off location: The Salvation Army Kauluwela Corps, 296 N. Vineyard Blvd., Honolulu, HI 96817