South Hilo Crime Report: June 22–28, 2018July 2, 2018, 2:09 PM HST (Updated July 2, 2018, 5:16 PM)
Hawai‘i Police Department’s South Hilo Community Police responded to four burglaries, seven vehicle thefts and one vehicle break-in over the seven-day period from Friday through Thursday, June 22 to 28.
Two of vehicles were recovered by the time this report was published.
The complete list of crime locations and dates are as follows:
- Between June 25 at 7 p.m. and June 16 at 4 a.m., unknown suspect(s) entered an unlocked front entry/exit door of a studio in 1300 block of Kalanianaole Street. Removed items were PlayStation 4, bluetooth speaker and iPad.
- Between June 22 at 10 a.m. and June 24 at 8:50 a.m., unknown suspect(s) forcibly broke into a storage barn, located in the area of Kawiki Homestead Road and Kanna Road in Honomu. No items were stolen from within the barn; however approximately 100 lbs of lychee fruit from his lychee trees was harvested and stolen.
- On June 25 between 2 a.m. and 2:30 a.m., unknown suspect(s) forcibly entered a business in the 100 block of Kalanikoa Street. Suspects attempted to remove a safe from the business.
- On June 23 between 6:30 p.m. and 6:45 p.m., unknown suspects entered a warehouse on Kaiwiki Homestead Road in Honomu. Removed three “Corona” brand 18-inch machetes and a purple hydro flask.
7 VEHICLE THEFTS
- On June 22, between 8:15 and 11:40 p.m., an unknown suspect removed a motorcycle while it was parked at a residence in the 100 block of Kukuau Street.
- On June 23, at approximately 3:06 a.m., unknown suspect attempted to remove a 2004 Honda reflex scooter which was parked in a carport, on the 400 block of Akolea Road. The suspect left in a dark colored pickup truck.
- On June 23, at approximately 1:30 p.m. an unknown male suspect was observed attempting to remove a 2004 Toyota Tacoma from a parking lot located in 100 block of Puainako Street. The suspect fled the area in a silver corolla with possible plates of MWH403.
- On June 24, between 12:24 and 3:45 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a silver 2001 Toyota 4Runner MPVH, from the area of Waianuenue Avenue and Akolea Road. Vehicle was later located in the Kurtistown.
- Between June 26 at 4 p.m. and June 27 at 1 p.m., unknown person(s) removed a inoperable gold Honda CRV bearing license plate NGV557 from a parking lot located in 100 block of Puainako Street. Vehicle not located.
- Between June 26 at 7 p.m. and June 27 at 1 p.m., unknown suspect(s) removed a 1986 white Toyota pickup truck bearing Hawai‘i license plate HSB817 from a residence in the 800 block of Komomala Drive. Vehicle not located.
- On June 27 at 8:10 p.m. an unknown male suspect removed a 2007 blue Mazda sedan, from the 300 block area of Ponahawai Street. The vehicle has been located.
1 VEHICLE BREAK-IN
On June 27 between 3 and 3:45 p.m., an unknown party had entered a silver 2003 Honda Civic, while it was parked at the Panaewa Zoo and removed several items to include a bag and wallet.
HPD NOTE TO BIG ISLAND RESIDENTS AND VISITORS
The Hawai‘i Police Department asks motorists to drive safely..
The HPD also asks residents and visitors alike to take the role as an observer: Watch for suspicious activity and notifying the police. You can make a difference!
Anyone wanting to start or be part of a neighborhood watch in their area should contact one of the South Hilo Community Police officers at (808) 961-8121.
- Emergency: 911
- Non Emergency: (808) 935-3311
- Crime Stoppers: (808) 961-8300
- Vice/Drug tip hotline: (808) 934-VICE (8423)