East Hawai‘i Residents Asked to Cut Back 10% on Water UseAugust 11, 2017, 3:42 PM HST (Updated August 11, 2017, 3:44 PM)
Due to the ongoing dry conditions, the Hawai‘i County Department of Water Supply requests that customers in Hakalau-Wailea, South Hilo, Hawai‘i Ninole and North Hilo reduce their daily water usage by 10%.
Listed are some ways to conserve water tor each the 10% goal:
- Wash only full loads of laundry or dishes at a time.
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks.
- Serve drinking water only when requested.
- Keep a container of drinking water in the refrigerator. Use drinking water wisely.
- Do not let water run unnecessarily. Shut the water off when you wash or brush your
teeth. Use a glass to rinse when brushing your teeth.
- When bathing or showering, use water only to wet and rinse off.
- Do not fill up the bathtub.
- Do not flush toilets unnecessarily.
- Review and reduce the frequency of irrigation schedule by adjusting timers appropriately.
- All irrigation and agricultural users should keep water usage to a minimum. Irrigate only at night from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. This measure will reduce water loss due to evaporation, and minimize water system usage during peak demand.
For more information, contact the DWS at (808) 961-8790 or (808) 961-8060 during norma business hours or go online.