Waimea Ocean Film Festival
The 2017 Waimea Ocean Film Festival will take place Jan. 2 through 10.
The event will showcase films, special guests, intimate coffee talks, Q&As, exhibits, receptions and morning activities.
The annual event will play films simultaneously from Jan. 2 to 5 at multiple venues in Waimea (Kahilu Theatre, HPA Gates, Parker Theater) and at the Fairmont Orchid.
On Jan. 6, the festival will move to the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.
Ocean Film will show over 60 films this year, most of which are world, U.S., Hawai‘i or Big Island premieres, with many filmmakers in attendance to answer questions following the showing of each film.
The format of this festival immerses participants in a greater understanding and awareness of the ocean and island culture through films, talks, exhibits and activities.
Program copies and pass sales will be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 30 at the festival hospitality desk at Kahilu Theatre in Waimea.
Programs will also be available at concierge desks at the Mauna Kea Hotel, Hapuna Prince Beach Hotel, the Fairmont Orchid Hawai‘i and Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.
The festival brings action-packed days of exciting film, dynamic discussion, epic adventure, riveting surf, island culture, compelling speakers, intriguing exhibits and important conversation set amidst the beauty of Waimea and the Kohala Coast.
Kamuela Inn is offering discounted accommodations Jan. 2–10.
Films that will be shown include:
• The Accord (Iceland/RC Cone)
• The Age of Consequences (USA/Jared P. Scott)
• Alison’s Adventures: British Columbia (USA/Alison Teal)
• Almost Sunrise (USA/Michael Collins)
• An American Ascent (USA/Andy Adkins, George Potter)
• Atlantic (Ireland/Risteard O’Domhnaill)
• The Bat Man of Mexico (UK/Tom Mustill)
• Beneath the Surface (UK/Mikey Corker)
• Bud Browne’s Surfers (USA/Anna Trent Moore)
• Call Me Peg Leg (UK/Josh Hine)
• The Canary Islands-World of the Fire Mountains (Austria/Michael Schlamberger)
• Catching the Sun (USA/Shalini Kantayya)
• Con Amor Yago (Brazil, Gabriel Novis)
• Dateline NBC: On Assignment at Palmyra Atoll (USA/Mario Garcia, Julie Kim)
• Distance Between Dreams (USA/Rob Bruce)
• Dog Power (USA/Jordan Schevene & Kale Casey)
• E2-Seoul (USA/Tad Fettig)
• E2-Melbourne Reborn (USA/Tad Fettig)
• Eclipse (Canada/Anthony Bonello)
• Forgotten Coast: Return to Wild Florida (USA/Eric Bendick)
• A Fragile Legacy (USA/David Brown)
• Giraffes: Africa’s Gentle Giants (BBC/UK/Tom Mustill)
• 1-800-Give-Us-Your-Kidney (USA/Samantha Smith)
• Hokule‘a Worldwide Voyage: New York (‘Oiwi TV/USA/Kapua Roback)
• Humpback Whales (USA/Greg MacGillivray)
• Im/Perfection (USA/Andrew Hida)
• Jim Nabors’ Impossible Dream (KGMB/USA)
• The Joy of Surfing (UK/Simon Cotter)
• Just Eat It: A Food Waste Story (Canada/Grant Baldwin)
• Locked In (USA/Bud Browne)
• Lotus Root: A Great Granddaughter’s Journey (USA/Kimberlee Bassford)
• Making an Ancient Forest (Austria/Rita Schlamberger)
• Martin’s Boat (USA/Peter McBride)
• The Marvelous Musical Report (USA/Laura & Robert Sams)
• Mele Murals (USA/Tadashi Nakamura)
• Merchants of Doubt (USA/Robert Kenner)
• My Haggan Dream (USA/Laura &Robert Sams)
• Ocean Stories: Michele and Howard Hall (USA/Patrick Creadon)
• Operation Grand Canyon with Dan Snow (BBC/UK)
• Patsy Mink: Ahead of the Majority (USA/Kimberlee Bassford)
• Peninsula Mitre (Argentina/Joaquin & Julian Azulay)
• Planet Ocean (France/Yann Arthus-Betrand, Michael Pitiot)
• A Plastic Ocean (USA, UK & Hong Kong/Craig Leeson)
• Pronghorn Revival (USA/Ben Masters)
• Red Chargers (USA/Rocky Romano)
• Sea Youth (USA/Chelsea Odufu)
• Shorebreak: The Clark Little Story (USA/Peter King)
• Sonic Sea (USA/Michelle Dougherty, Daniel Hinerfeld)
• Spotlight (USA/Tom McCarthy)
• Unbranded (USA/Phillip Baribeau)
• Valen’s Reef (USA/Imraan Ismail)
• Vamizi-Cradle of Coral (Sweden/Mattias Klum)
• View from a Blue Moon (USA/John John Florence, Blake Vincent Kueny)
• The Voyage of Swell (USA/Liz Clark, Teva Perrone)
• Water from Stone (USA/Ben Masters)
• The Weekend Sailor (Mexico/Bernardo Arsuaga)
• Wild Horse Resolution (USA/Ben Masters)
• National Geographic Wild Yellowstone: Grizzly Summer (USA/National Geo)
• Winning Girl (USA/Kimberlee Bassford)
You can purchase festival passes here.